Thursday, March 15, 2018

Patience and Gratitude

I spent today with Rabbi Abie in Glasses. I was so very delighted to watch in amazement as most of the patients that we took in for glasses were capable of having their vision improved dramatically. Some patients we improved from being able to read no lines on the chart, to having perfect 20/20 vision. The patients who showed their appreciation eyes sparkled with joy with new glasses and usually began to speed up in reciting the lines. As I watched the patients show their childlike glee, my heart quenched with fullness because we could make people smile again. Sadly towards the end of the day, we began to run out of prescription glasses for the patients. I began to become frustrated because I wanted every patient to experience the joy of improved vision. Thankfully Rabbi Abie was by my side, and scavenged through boxes to make sure that every single patient possible could see after walking out of our clinic. We couldn’t help everyone, and I think the lesson that I learned today was the importance of patience when having a high need to control. If you’re anything like me you want to do the best that you can at all times, and when you can’t you feel as though that you’ve failed. Today I learned that it doesn’t matter what happens as long as you’ve tried your best. One of the biggest indicators of this is that to my surprise, even the patients that we didn’t help still left the clinic with a smile on their faces and grateful for our efforts. To the patients today, thank you for your patience and gratitude. I’m honored to have learned from you.


Amber Minefee

No comments: