Thursday, March 15, 2018

Another Day of Clinic!

Today I started my clinic experience outside, working at the dental station. As I started working, it was really cold outside, since the sun didn’t reach me yet. However, children began coming into the clinic with their families, and I called the children over to play and color with me. Little girls came running over with smiling faces, and little boys were talking to me in Spanish. Immediately, the chilliness from the air disappeared and I felt warm from the hugs and smiles I was receiving from my little ‘amigas' and ‘amigos.' The morning was so fun, and I strengthened my Spanish speaking skills by talking to Guatemalan families, and teaching them how to brush their teeth. In the afternoon, I spent time with the internal medicine doctor, Dr. Richard, and learned about how to examine patients and give them the best care. He gave each patient his full attention, and then spent time to teach each of us students about the diagnoses he was making. He taught me the importance of patience and active listening while seeing each patient, and I will most definitely take that into my medical practice in the future.

Back at the hotel, we were packing our lunches for the next day when suddenly, a hotel staff member told all the men on the medical team to leave the room; only the women could stay. From behind her back, she pulled out a big, beautiful bouquet of red roses with little tags on them which read, “Feliz Día de Mujeres!” (Happy International Women’s Day!), which would be the next day. There were many tears and hugs as each woman on the team embraced the woman passing out the roses. Each of us felt more empowered as women to take on anything we set our minds to, and the bond between us became closer. The men on the team were finally allowed in the room, and they got roses to, but without the tag :)

Today was a beautiful day.


Rachel Krevh

No comments: