Tuesday, March 13, 2018

The Fruit of Months of Hard Work


My eyes slowly adjusted to the light coming from the plane’s window and what was unbearable whiteness dimmed and the details of the land below took shape like a freshly printed Polaroid picture. As I looked over Maddie’ shoulder trying to see as much as possible I caught a teary eye and she said “ugh my eyes are all watery, I’m so lame.” She was right in that there wasn’t any particularly eye-watering beauty in the random collections of houses and the occasional cement road winding around the mountainous terrain below. But it wasn’t the sight that brought my friend to tears, it was what it all represented: The fruit of months of hard work.

An hour or two later I got to meet two more members of our Guatemala family for the first time, Dr. Richard also known as the most agreeable man alive and José Roland who from first glance you know you’ve found someone as dependable as the sunrise.
We go on what must have been the best bumpy bus ride of my life. We finally reached our destination, and no matter how many times Nurse Stephanie tells you that the clinic is small nothing will prepare you for the improvised waiting rooms, or the parsimony of that Triage room or for the kids with their smiles looking at you like they’ve known you for years. We unpack everything and leave.

I have no idea of what is to come nor do I want to expect anything. I am by no means an empty canvas, engrained in me are countless scribbles that attempt to make sense, but I cannot wait to be painted nook to nook…hasta lunes!!

No comments: