Tuesday, May 15, 2018

First day in Krakow

When I got onto the plane I did not know what too expect, the flight attendants ran around handing out food and drinks while the pilot announced everything in Polish. I slept through the vast majority of the plane ride and only woke up about an hour till the plane landed. When I woke up however I was suddenly hit by a blast of major excitement. I was suddenly about to land in Poland a country that I have always wanted to visit. My first view of the country was the landscape through the planes window, the countryside was green and beautiful with rolling hills and red roofed houses. When we finally landed I was bouncing in my seat I was soo eager to see Krakow. When I finally stepped out of the airport and on too the bus I saw people go to and through about their business. We first visited the Krakow ghetto which was a humbling experience and later the Glashow concentration camp. Standing on a location where you know that thousands perished has a funny way of playing with you mind. I was standing on the site of a major massacre yet their were new homes and businesses popping up around us. Then it finally hit me this country which is so defined by it's past is pushing itself into the future. Later when we went to the town square I saw children running around old medieval churches and structures. The country had pushed itself into the modern age while still in remembrance of its past.
Jakob Krejsa

No comments: