Friday, May 18, 2018

Day 3 in Poland

Today we went to Auschwitz. It started as we walked through the gates. Over the gate, it read Arbeit Macht Frei which means work will make you free. We learned so much there; it was really eye opening. In all the history textbooks and classes I have ever taken, Auschwitz was a place where the Jews were murdered. The concentration camp actually began in April of 1914 as a concentration camp for Polish prisoners. The original camp only had a few thousand Polish prisoners. When the Nazis took over, the Jews would have to buy tickets to get on the train to Auschwitz. 
Walking through the camp really helped me to learn what life was like there; however, I will never understand it because I did not live it. Auschwitz was the only concentration camp where prisoners got their numbers tattooed on their forearm. Some Jews sent their children to Germany to work for their military just so they would survive. Another way some survived was if they played in the orchestra, because the music helped to keep the camp calm. This really touched me because I played the violin for over 10 years. That could have saved my life had I been there. 
As we continued through the different barracks, Rabbi Abie pointed that his family had been Jews from the Zamość region. Rabbi has become so much more than just another professor, so it hurts me that he does not have all the answers that he wants. Throughout the next rooms I was speechless. We walked through and there were piles of the victim’s hair, suitcases, dishes, clothing, and shoes. Seeing the children’s clothing and shoes made my heart stop. I could not imagine losing my children, my brother, my parents, or anyone else in my family, but that was the reality the Jews faced. From the middle of May to the beginning of July in 1944, over 400,000 Hungarian Jews were taken to Auschwitz and all they could take was a 25 kg suitcase, which was later taken from them. The SS could kill 1000-1500 people in 15-20 minutes with Zyklon B.
As a future nurse, the tour guide talked about the women having to have OB appointments and examinations. If it was a normal exam, they were then injected with things that created her 
Fallopian tubes to swell so the Jewish women became infertile. This is horrific. Someday I hope to have kids of my own and that option taken away from me would be devastating, especially if it was not my choice. 
We then went to Birkenau. Seeing these horrific living conditions and the gas chambers shook me. There were roses left by visitors in the bunks of the beds. I thought that was a beautiful. As a group, Rabbi Abie led us in a reflection/memorial service at the stairs of the gas chamber. The ceremony was very meaningful. 
After Auschwitz, we went to get John Paul II’s favorite cake (it was kind of like a cream puff). It was very good. My knowledge about popes and Catholicism is very limited. I grew up a United Methodist; however, my mom was raised Catholic. I did not really understand the significance of being the Pope until I experienced it here. Walking into the cathedral where Pope John Paul II was baptized really showed me how beautiful this world is. 
I learned so much about John Paul II. His mother passed away a month before his 9th birthday. His brother was a doctor but died when he was in his twenties because a patient gave him scarlet fever. Pope John Paul II is special because he grew up within close proximity to Jews, as his best friend was a Jew. As a Catholic, going to a synagogue is a sign of respect according to John Paul II. When he was a teenager, his best friend (who was Jewish), came into the Catholic cathedral and a woman said something to the best friend about not belonging here. John Paul II’s response, as a teenage boy, was," Doesn’t she know we are all children of the living God?" That statement moved me. We are all children of the living God and we are asked to show love and compassion to one another, which John Paul II knew as a teenage boy. 
When he was growing up his name was Karol Wojtyła. He was a brilliant young man. By the age of 10 he spoke four different languages, which is amazing to me. I have taken about five years of Spanish and I am barley fluent in that. By the end of his life, he knew over 40 languages. 
 While he was the Pope, John Paul II was shot twice. One shot was in the arm and other in the abdomen by a professional shooter. John Paul II forgave this man, even through the shooter did not ever apologize. I want my faith to be like John Paul’s. Forgiving someone after they shot you is amazing. The man who shot him is a free man today and he sent a letter to Pope Francis asking to go to seminary. I would love to read that letter and understand why and what changed. Pope John Paul II was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. This disease is a brutal disease and he passed away in 2005. John Paul II said, “Be grateful to God,” which is important to remember to be thankful for all you have. 
-Maggie Sullivan

No comments: