Friday, March 16, 2018

The sun was intense, but I absorbed it all in.

The sun was intense, but I absorbed it all in.

Today we departed from Cincinnati to go to Guatemala. I strived to be on this journey for the past three years, and it was finally here. After applying to the trip three years in a row, this year was finally the year that I was able to apply the knowledge I have learned about health care, Guatemalan culture, and how to be an effective teammate.

As the plane landed in Guatemala, all I could see were mountains, colorful buildings, and a new landscape that I had been unfamiliar with. Everyone on the plane began to squeal with excitement, and the Guatemala team began to get restless to start the journey. Once getting off the plane and gathering the luggage, we stepped outside into the airport pick up. My first sight of Guatemala was of the hot sun overhead; next, I saw dogs lying in the sun near the terminal, children and their parents in beautiful colorful garments sitting on the sidewalk, and children playing soccer in and around the cars passing by. As the team packed up the luggage on the top of the bus and in the back of a truck, the sun was beating down and we were sweating, but it was almost like Guatemala was welcoming us with its warm presence and loving touch. I admired the people around me, and the excited, smiling faces.

After packing all the luggage, we drove away from the airport toward Guatemala City. The sun was still shining through the bus windows, and I smiled. The loving touch of Guatemala never ceased to be present, and I knew that this week was going to be amazing.

No comments: