Saturday, May 26, 2018

Visit at the American Embassy

             Shortly after our arrival in Vilnius, Lithuania we visited the American Embassy. We met with an American foreign aids officer that works to build political ties and maintain relationships between the US and Lithuania here in Vilnius on behalf of the US Government. There are many ways that the embassy helps both the people of Vilnius and consistently improves relations with the US and other allies. When we were there we sat in a room that was completely decked out in everything America. American games, books, movies, posters, you name it, they had it. The embassy encourages both groups from abroad and student groups in Lithuania to come learn about the embassy and American life, as American life has such a global impact in so many ways.
 As a social work major and as someone who loves to travel, I was very moved and intrigued by his job. To listen to him talk about his work so passionately and how it makes a real difference both here and back in the United States was so inspiring to me. I was so moved, that when he mentioned that American embassies offer student internships all over the world, I decided that I want that to be in my future. I have been looking for a way to encompass my love for politics, social work, and travel and today I think I found it. I was so moved and could not be more excited and open to learning so much more about Vilnius and Lithuanian culture/Jewish life in Lithuania.
-Hannah Kipp

No comments: