Tuesday, March 8, 2016

First Eight Hour Shift Grind and Loved Every Moment of It

When was the last time you didn’t dread working an eight hour shift and actually enjoyed it or even loved it?  Today we had our first full day clinic visits from 9:00 am- 5:00 pm and I couldn’t get enough of it.  Specifically what stuck out to me the most was my rotation in triage.

Starting off in the morning, I worked alongside the fantastic nurse Stephanie in triage, performing tasks such as taking vital signs, measuring height and weight, plotting growth charts, taking blood sugars, and performing eye examines.  Working alongside Stephanie in triage gave a sense of excitement and satisfaction that reiterated my belief in my future career as a nurse.  Serving as the first line of care, I really enjoyed organizing and gathering patient information while being surrounded by such humble, loving patients and staff.  I cannot emphasize enough how beautiful and kind-hearted the patients are, with so much patience and appreciation for the healthcare that many Americans take for granted.  Not to mention how incredible our staff has been working together and forming strong bonds beyond our passion for healthcare.  The community at the clinic has established my love for every second of work during the course of the eight hour shift.   The combination of productivity, patient interaction, and warm environment gave me a sense of awe in my practice as a nurse and realization that my care for patients is worthwhile.


Maddy Mayer

No comments: