Thursday, January 8, 2015

Dream Big

Martin Luther King Jr. once had a dream that all people would be recognized as equal, not because of their skin color but by the beautiful colors that radiate inside every person. A little over 5 years ago, Xavier alum Josh Bidel had a dream to bring medical care and education to Guatemala so that others could have the opportunity to live a healthier life. He shared his dream and with the courage and dedication he and the previous medical service teams have instilled to the people of the Lake Atitlan region, anything is possible. Just yesterday, there was an unveiling ceremony of the Xavier University Center for Interfaith logo on the front of the clinic and the emotion was surreal. While I did not experience what it was like serving this community 5 years ago, I know that there have been tremendous improvements in the clinic and also in people's health, all because of the hard work that has been put in over the years. Just to be a small part of that work brings pride and happiness to me that I have not ever experienced and I hope to remember this uplifting feeling for as long as possible.

Sometimes a dream may feel like a fairytale, something that cannot be obtainable in our lifetime, but if we speak out about that dream and have confidence in ourselves then a lot can be changed for the better. I've always been told to dream big which is sometimes hard for me because of my realistic nature but over the past week living with the best medical service team I could have asked to be with and sharing the compassion we have to help those in need, I definitely am more optimisitc in dreaming big. I have learned a lot over the week from Dr. Lauri, Dr. Richard, Nurse Stephanie, Rabi Abbie, and the fabulous Stephanie Renny, from the families and children who live a simple and content life yet are some the happiest people I have come in contact with, and from experiencing Guatemalan culture that I will bring back to the United States which will allow me to be even more open and understanding through out my medical career and wherever life takes me. I want to thank Josh for beginning the Guatemala medical service trip at Xavier which has allowed 12 students each year to come together and grow as a family and have the opportunity to learn but also to see that dreaming big can be a reality. The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.


Greg Reyes

No comments: