Thursday, November 15, 2007

More About Going to Bixoli

Last night was the first meeting of the AB group going to Bixoli. Again, I'm so impressed with the students and their enthusiasm for this project. Heidi and Emma, the site leaders, informed us we will be working with Hands On Gulf Coast. Since Hurricane Katrina hit in August 2005, dedicated volunteers have been working hard in Biloxi, MS to help the community pick up and start again through this organization. Volunteers from around the country have helped in everything from clearing debris, to tutoring kids, to beautifying parks, to building homes. We don't know specific tasks yet, but it all sounds very exciting.
I was also reminded I need to complete the van training so I can help drive to Bixoli. I've driven a 15 passenger van many times, as my friend Coleen owns one and we use it to go antiquing every year. But I'll get the formal training so I can get my certificate!

No comments: