Monday, January 2, 2012

Jan. 2, 2012 Michael Jerge Doctors' Advice

Mike is sophomore biology major at Xavier from Munster, IN
To the sick, doctors wisely recommend change of air and scenery. Thank heaven America is not all the world. Yet we think that if fences are put up and countries established, boundaries are set to our lives and our fates are decided. The universe is wider than our view of it.
I arrived in Guatemala not knowing what was in store for me. Panajachel surrounds Lake Atitlan, nestled deep inside Guatemala. Spirit is in the air, continually receiving new life and motion from above. It is intermediate between land and sky. The Guatemalans are some of the friendliest people I have ever met. A smile here. A “bienvenidos” there. Our vans were welcomed by Guatemalan children waving along the side of the road. It was something amazing to be greeted with such hospitality by people I have never met. At a local shop, I befriended the owner and his wife. He wanted to practice his English, and I was happy to oblige. I said he spoke good English. He said he spoke English well. If only everyone had such humor. We spoke for some time, and he asked why I was in Guatemala. I told him about the medical mission trip, and he shook my hand repeatedly. It was clear how thankful he was, and I am so grateful to be a part of this opportunity. The man truly humbled me yet at the same time made me feel extraordinary.
Perhaps it is not a change of scenery, but rather a change of soul that the wisest doctors recommend.

No comments: